Production stop Segway Personal Transporter
On this page we regularly update you on the latest developments in this field.
23 June 2020: Announcement of Segway Inc.
We would like to inform you about the latest news regarding Segway Inc., the manufacturing company in America. The news may already have reached you that the owner of Segway (the Chinese company Ninebot) has decided to discontinue Segway. This news is somewhat more nuanced and therefore we would like to inform you about the actual situation:
- The Segway brand continues to exist and is seen by the Chinese owner as an important brand for the consumer market.
- Under the Segway brand, various electric means of transport for consumers have already been marketed in recent years and this is expected to be further expanded in the coming years.
- The original company Segway Inc. started in Bedford, America and is still a manufacturing company today.
- This production facility produces the Segway Personal Transporter and the Segway SE3 models.
- The Segway Personal Transporter (PT) is the well-known product, on which you can drive standing up on two (self-balancing) wheels.
- This Segway PT is used by us as a platform for the seated Segway models and is therefore a crucial product for us.
- The news is now that the owner of Segway has decided to stop producing the Segway PT and SE3 in Bedford and to close the production company in America as of July 15th this year.
- What this means for the Segway PT product in the long term is still unclear but for the time being it is not being produced anymore.
- This has major consequences for us in the long term and we are working hard to find a long term solution for this.
- In the short term it has no impact and we can still supply the seated Segway models with the Segway PT platform.
- In addition, Segway has guaranteed that technical support and spare parts will remain available for many years to come, so for existing customers no problems are to be expected in this area.
- All existing users can therefore simply contact us for service and support.
If you have any questions, please contact us and we will try to answer everything as best we can.