Segway Personal Transporter factory closed in America
On this page we regularly update you on the latest developments in this field.
– In the meantime, 2Kerr has agreed with the Chinese company Ninebot that we can continue to purchase the Segway Personal Transporter from them.
23 June 2020: Announcement of Segway Inc.
We would like to inform you about the latest news regarding Segway Inc., the manufacturing company in America. The news may already have reached you that the owner of Segway (the Chinese company Ninebot) has decided to discontinue Segway. This news is somewhat more nuanced and therefore we would like to inform you about the actual situation:
– The Segway brand continues to exist and is seen by the Chinese owner as an important brand for the consumer market.
– Under the Segway brand, various electric means of transport for consumers have already been marketed in recent years and this is expected to be further expanded in the coming years.
– The original company Segway Inc. started in Bedford, America and is still a manufacturing company today.
– This production facility produces the Segway Personal Transporter and the Segway SE3 models.
– The Segway Personal Transporter (PT) is the commonly known product, on which you can ride standing up on two (self-balancing) wheels.
– This Segway PT is used by us as a platform for the Seated Segway’s and is therefore a crucial product for us.
– The news now is that the owner of Segway has decided to stop producing the Segway PT and SE3 in Bedford and close the manufacturing plant in America as of July 15 2020.
– What this means in the long term for the Segway PT product is still unclear but for now it will no longer be produced.
– This has long term consequences for us as well and we are working hard to find a long term solution.
– In the short term, it has no impact and we can still supply Seated Segway’s with the Segway PT platform.
– In addition, Segway has guaranteed that technical support and parts will remain available for many years to come, so no problems are to be expected for existing customers on this front.
– All existing users can therefore simply come to us for service and support.
If you have any further questions, please contact us.